1. What is my property zoned? Download the City Zoning Map here, or view your property on an interactive map using Teton County's online GIS map.
  2. What are my building setbacks? First, identify the zone of your property. Once you know the zone, download the City Zoning Ordinance to view the setback regulations for the applicable zone.
  3. What is my 'correct' address?  Visit Teton County's online GIS map to view your property's old and new address.
  4. When do I need a building permit? Building permits are required for any construction, addition, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition or change in occupancy of a building or structure or to enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas or mechanical system, with the exception of those activities listed below:
    1. On-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
    2. Fences not over 6 feet high.
    3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
    4. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
    5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
    6. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to single or two-family dwellings that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
    7. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes.
    8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two-family dwellings.
    9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

5. Do I need a building permit for a fence? No, unless it is taller than six (6) feet.

6. What are the regulations on fences? Fences, walls, and hedges are permitted anywhere on your property up to a height of six (6) feet; provided, that no fence, wall or hedge along the sides or front edge of any front yard (front setback area) shall be over three (3) feet in height. On a corner lot nothing shall be erected, placed, planted, or allowed to grow in any such manner as to materially impede vision between a height of three (3) feet and ten (10) feet above the center line grades of intersecting streets bounded by the property lines of corner lots on a line joining points along said property lines for thirty (30) feet.

If your property is in a zone that does not have a front yard/setback requirement, the fence, wall, or hedge must be setback at least 20' from the front property line and cannot exceed three (3) feet in height.   Barbed wire and electric fences are not allowed unless approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

 7.Are sign permits required for campaign signs? The Driggs Sign Code (Article 11.3 of the Land Development Code), allows for one incidental sign  to be displayed per property frontage, not to exceed 6sqft in size, which does not require a permit.  An incidental sign would be a sign having a  purpose "secondary to the use of the lot."  These signs should be located entirely on the subject property (with owner's permission) and not placed in the right of way of any jurisdiction.  Temporary signs are also allowed (banners, etc) without a permit and are allowed to be hung on a property for 14 days at a time, 4 times a year (these 4 times can be continuous).  The maximum allowed size for temporary signs ranges from 16sqft - 24sqft, depending on the zone where the sign is to be hung (§ 11.3.4).

Subdivision FAQs

What is a subdivision?

A request to subdivide property into 3 or more lots or divide a previously split lot is known as a Subdivision. Subdivisions are generally reviewed in 2 steps- 1) Preliminary Plat 2) Final Plat.  The P&Z Commission and City Council must review and make a decision on a subdivision based only on its compliance with Title 9 (Zoning) and the Comprehensive Plan.

How is the public informed of a Subdivision proposal? 

A "Public Hearing Notice" is published in the legal section of the Teton Valley News, posted at City Hall, the Driggs Post Office, Driggs website (here), and on the property at least 2 weeks before a meeting.  All property owners within 300' of the property receive a notice in the mail with the meeting date and project summary.

How does the public get involved?

Anyone is invited to attend the meeting and speak or submit comments. Effective comments refer to the review criteria that P&Z or City Council use to evaluate a project. To make an informed comment, it's best to learn about the proposal and what the review criteria is. Staff Reports are available 1 week prior to a meeting and are posted on the City website. These reports give a project description, review analysis, and a recommendation.  Driggs encourages people to stop in City Hall, call, or email to ask about projects first-hand. 

Subdivision Review Steps


What does a Preliminary Plat review entail?

  • Preliminary Map and description: Combination of a map and descriptions indicating proposed lots, proposed utilities, roads, parks, and pathways. 
  • Service Provider Review: City, County, State, and Federal agencies review and give comments.
  • Analysis: Staff reviews proposal in compliance with zoning, the subdivision plat checklist, comprehensive plan and compiles the review with service provider and public comments into a Staff Report for P&Z and City Council.
    • Subdivision design standards, such as road dimensions and acreage of parks, are reviewed and outlined for compliance or need on the Final Plat.
    • Subdivision improvement requirements, such as the installation of fire hydrants, streetlights, and utilities, are also reviewed so all requirements a developer is obligated to install are outlined at this stage.

 If the Preliminary plat is approved, then a Final Plat is submitted for final review by City Council. 


What does a Final Plat review entail?

  • Subdivision Plat: Prepared by a licensed surveyor.
  • Construction drawings: Construction specifications for the exact dimensions and surveyed locations of all public improvements (roads, pathways, and utilities).
  • Development Agreement: Document stating the commitments of the Developer to the City. Timelines for installation of improvements (roads, pathways, utilities) are specified. 
  • Guarantee of Improvements: An estimate for the cost of all improvements is evaluated and a financial guarantee for the amount, plus 10% is held by the City.