Building Permit Information

NOTICE:  Please submit all permit applications and materials electronically as we move to a paperless system.  Contact me via phone or email with any inquiries.


Justin Mehlhaff
Assistant Planner
208-354-2362 ext 2109


house icon 

Building Code Requirements

Building Design Requirements

Building Permit Fees

Commercial & Multi-Family Design Review


Mobile Home, Manufactured Home & Tiny Home Info

Plumbing & Electrical Permits 

Demolition Permits

C&D Waste Information


Building permits are required within the City of Driggs for any construction, addition, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition or change in occupancy of a building or structure or to enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas or mechanical system, with the exception of those activities listed below.

Building permits are not required for the following:

  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (200 square feet for residential).
  • Fences not over 7 feet high.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to single or two-family dwellings that are not greater than 4' deep.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two-family dwellings.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.


Codes. The City of Driggs uses the following codes (effective Jan 1, 2021), as adopted by the Idaho Division of Building Safety.  
2018 International Building Code
2018 International Existing Building Code
2018 International Residential Code, including Appendix F. Radon Resistant 
2018 International Energy Conservation Code
2018 International Mechanical Code
2018 International Fuel Gas Code



Design Criteria.

Ground Snow Load 85 psf
Frost Depth 36 in
Wind Pressure 90 mph (40 mps)
Energy Zone Idaho    16
Seismic Zone


Design Review. If located in the Design Review Overlay Zone (map), commercial & multi-family projects require Design Review approval prior to obtaining a building permit, which includes architecture, parking and landscaping review. Design Review standards are contained in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance and application form and process found here.  Please contact the Planning and Zoning Administrator ( for more information.

Plumbing and Electrical permits are issued by the State of Idaho Division of Building Safety and are required for any plumbing and electrical work. No plumbing permit is required for the clearing of stoppages or repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, fixtures, appliances or appurtenances of any plumbing system when such work does not involve or require any functional rearrangement of pipes, valves or fixtures comprising the plumbing system (§ 54-2621).



How long is a permit valid for? 180 days

In accordance with Section 105.5 of the 2018 International Building Code, any permit issued shall become invalid if work does not commence within 180 days of issuance or if the work authorized on the site by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after work has begun.  The building official is authorized to grant, in writing, one or more extensions of time, for periods not more than 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

What needs to be submitted for a permit?  

See the Building Permit Process & Checklist form. Please also call (208-354-2362 ext 2109) or email our office to confirm if there are any new requirements or additional items needed due to the location. 

What are the setbacks? 

Building setbacks are based on the zone district in which the lot is located. Click here to use the interactive GIS web map to locate the property and the zone. Once you know the zone, you will need to check the Land Development Code to determine what the setbacks are in that zone. Public and private utility easements may also limit the location of a building, so please check the subdivision plat or recorded survey of the property (recorded surveys and plats are available at the Teton County Recorder's Office or online, here.)

If you cannot find the information you need, please call the Planning & Building Dept at 208-354-2362 ext 2109 or email 

Building Permit Fees

1. Building Permit Fees. For review, issuance, and administration of building permits including inspections.

Valuation *


$1 to $50,000

$100 + $50/Inspection

$50,001 to $250,000

0.7% of Valuation

$250,001 to $500,000

0.6% of Valuation

$500,001 to $1,000,000

0.5% of Valuation

$1,000,001 to $2,500,000

0.4% of Valuation

Over $2,500,000

0.3% of Valuation

* Valuation as determined by the ICC and published in the Building Safety Journal (most recent edition).

2. Impact Fees.





Residential (per dwelling)




Residential (per 1bdrm dwelling unit / studio apt




Nonresidential (per sq ft)




Detached Single Family w/ 2 or more bedrooms  (per dwelling unit)




Detached Single Family w/ less than 2 bedrooms  (per dwelling unit)




Multifamily (per dwelling unit)




Retail (per sq ft)




Office (per sq ft)




Industrial (per sq ft)




*Deed restricted affordable housing developments are exempt from all impact fees.


3. Water & Sewer Connection Fees. Click here for fees and complete information on new utility hook-ups.


Mobile Home, Manufactured Home, & Tiny Home Permit Information


Manufactured Home Installation Process & Checklist 2018

Manufactured Home Installation Permit Application 2018

 C&D Waste Information


Construction & Demolition waste can be disposed of at the Teton County Transfer Station.  Tipping fees are significantly reduced for sorted waste.  See links below for more information on sorting your C&D Waste.

Sort N Save Flyer
Unsorted Waste Description
DEQ No Burning of Construction Waste
C&D Sorting Video English
C&D Sorting Video Spanish


  • The 2018 Building Codes are effective beginning Jan 1, 2021. 

Application & Permit Forms

Building Permit Application
Building Permit Process & Checklist
Manufactured / Modular Home Installation Application
Manufactured / Modular Home Installation Process
Water & Sewer Connection Application
Site Plan Sample
Demolition Permit Application



Driggs Land Development Code & Zoning Maps
EPA Document: "Radon Prevention in the Design and Construction of Schools and Other Larger Buildings" (PDF)
Idaho Amendments to the International Building and Energy Codes
Idaho Division of Building Safety
Radon Information (Idaho Dept of Health and Welfare)
Water & Sewer Connections
IRC 2018 (ICC International Residential Code)
IBC 2018 (ICC International Building Code)
Public Works Standards and Technical Specifications
Commercial Outdoor Lighting Standards
General Outdoor Lighting Standards


Contact Us

Assistant Planner
Justin Mehlhaff
208-354-2362 ext 2109 
Reina Owecke
208-354-2362 ext 2105
Planning & Zoning Administrator
Leanne Bernstein 
208-354-2362 ext 2106
Commercial Building Inspector
Jason Letham
Residential Building Inspector
Al Russo
Mechanical Inspector
Wyatt Penfold
Teton County Fire Marshal
Earl Giles